41.5 hours a week
27 days holiday + BH
This is a fantastic business providing design, build, installation and maintenance capability of mechanical, electronic, hydraulic and pneumatic systems and components across a wide variety of industries, including Marine, Aerospace, Utilities and Industrial across the UK. Varied work portfolio and growing company with a myriad of different projects to work on. Exciting and varied client base.
What is the purpose of the Mechanical Design Engineer role?
To provide support to the Engineering Director and operations and customers, by ensuring Design builds are quoted designed and adhere to all compliance.
What will you do as the Mechanical Design Engineer?
- Use of Solidworks 3D CAD and AutoCAD LT 2D CAD packages to design quality. components, assemblies and systems from concept to final production within a wide range of applications and industries the company engages within.
- Production of drafts, final and GA drawings and 3D models from supplied information such as engineering request forms, client specifications, design calculations.
- Work with the engineering design team to help design special purpose equipment within clients’ bespoke specifications.
- Produce designs to meet the agreed requirements in time and within the hours specified and allocated.
- Maintain accurate design records and maintain drawing issue control.
- Revise or amend existing designs and drawings to meet new requirements as required.
- Work with the project engineer and design team members
- Liaise with suppliers and sub-contractors as necessary throughout the design and manufacturing processes.
- Assess prototypes for correct fit and function.
- Determine appropriate selection of materials for different applications.
- Assess the strength of components and assemblies using FEA as necessary.
- Prepare documentation and drawings for design reviews internally and with clients.
- Assist the Engineering Director in ensuring that the company’s engineering standards are maintained to the highest level.
- Component design - products can be made up of various parts and you need to be versatile to draft the different products. Not limited to at present, but our current markets include industrial, aerospace, mobile (vehicles and plant), marine, utility and similar companies
- Deliver drawings to satisfy quality, accuracy and time constraint requirements of clients, directors and the design team.
- Liaise with suppliers, customers and company directors on a daily basis.
- Provide technical advice & guidance to the company’s internal & external sales & engineering teams when requested.
- Interact with the sales department to ensure customer requirements are fully understood and relationships are maintained
- Interact with key/preferred suppliers where required.
- Ensure designs meet agreed company margins
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3 years minimum experience, with proven results, working in the fluid power engineering industry or a similar field of engineering.
- An HNC / HND in mechanical engineering plus a minimum 3 years proven working experience in a similar fields of engineering would be considered
- Detailed working knowledge of AutoCAD LT
- Detailed working knowledge of Solidworks
- Understanding of modern engineering principles, processes, practices and applications.
- Commercial awareness for costs to manufacture
- Good understanding of current IT systems and their potential benefits to the organisation, (MS Office, Adobe etc.)
- Logical and analytical approach to problem solving
- Able to perform and achieve under pressure and within defined time constraints.
- Strive to continuously improve themselves (skills and behaviour)
- Embodies the company values of integrity, mutual respect, enthusiasm, quality and quantity.
- High Mechanical Aptitude
- Good planning & time-management skills.
- Communicates honestly, openly and positively.
What will the Mechanical Design Engineer get in return?
Excellent salary £30,000 - £40, 000 per annum DOE
27 days holiday plus BH
NHS top up
Working on exciting projects
Working on varied projects from start to finish
Interesting and varied customers