What is the purpose of the Workshop Manager?
Reporting directly to the Operations Manager and responsible for the completion of the following:
- Oversee Taunton Depot workshop production and output (including service type work, project-based builds and electrical departmental work), including any required testing and documentation (hard copy and electronic) as directed by Operations Manager.
- Ensure all work is completed in line with customer requirements and company quality and engineering standards.
- Weekly timesheets for all engineers are completed and processed in a timely manner.
- All workshop activity is carried out IAW company H+S policy, producing RAMS and Risk Assessments as required to cover all activities.
- Ensure all workshop tooling is always in a safe and usable condition and controlled. .
Assist with calibration and inspection requirements.
- Act as technical liaison / focal point between shop floor engineers and Technical Department.
- Control and supervision of test facilities (test rigs / accumulator testing) and ensure all testing is carried out in line with company, BFPA and HSE requirements.
- Taunton Workshop Tooling – control and maintenance of all tooling including maintenance of RPE / PAT testing registers, control of calibration and required insurance and / or specialist inspections.
- Carry out weekly shop floor production meeting.
- Input into weekly General Works Meeting as required.
- Assist and co-operate in inter-depot resource sharing / planning as required.
- Ensure monthly toolbox talks are conducted for all workshop staff.
- Assess and identify training requirements needs for the workshop’s engineers.
- Carry out staff appraisals in line with company policy.
- 5S champion for workshop production areas.
- Assist Technical Department with quoting as necessary.
- Assist in achievement of all company KPI’s.
- Carry out effective customer liaison as required.
- Conduct site visits / audits as directed by Ops Mgr.
- Ensure periodic checks off Service Engineers vehicles are conducted.
- Carry out work ‘on the tools’ as required.
- Deputise for Operations Manager as required.
What will the Workshop Manager do?
This role would suit a Production or Workshop Manager from an engineering background who has ideally worked their way up to Production Manager from the shop floor or are a Production Supervisor looking for the next step in their career, who are confident managing teams of skilled engineers.
What skills and experience will the Workshop Manager have?
- Demonstrable experience in a supervisory and / or management role. (2+ years as a minimum)
- Experience of working in an engineering or manufacturing environment (5+ years as a minimum)
- Strong and effective people management skills - you need to combine excellent people skills with strong management abilities, with good attention to detail and sound administrative processes
- Ability to prioritise workloads, time management skills and work in a fast-moving working environment to achieve tight deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Solid working knowledge of Health and Safety regulations
- Understanding of ISO Quality systems
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of MS office software
- Understanding / working knowledge of ERP / MRP systems
- Ability to deal with and understand customer needs and requirements
- Excellent communication skills
- Working knowledge of continuous improvement, lean manufacturing, 5S etc
- Understanding of working towards and achieving Company / Departmental KPI’s
- Keen to learn, with a positive approach towards both personal and team development
- Experience of delivering staff training packages
- Professional approach and attitude.
In the absence of qualifications, relevant experience will of course be considered.
- BTEC, C&G or HNC or similar industry (BFPA or equivalent) qualifications in a relevant engineering discipline
- Good knowledge of hydraulic, basic electrical and electro / mechanical systems and associated components e.g. hydraulic cylinders, pumps and valves
- High standard and understanding of oral and written English
- Recognised management qualifications (CMI, ILM. C+G, NVQ)
- Full (clean) driving licence
What will you get in return?
- Long term career with long established,
- Market leading company
- 26 days holiday per year + bank holidays & your birthday as an additional day off
- Workplace pension scheme
- Free onsite parking